Monday 2 June 2014

Classroom Management

I teach a 24 week course called "Electrical Foundations".  It is a mixture of shop, lab, and class time.  I have 16 students of which 15 are men.  They range in age from 18 to 31.
My classroom management issue stems from one student who is an "over participator".  He is eager to learn and pays attention which is great, but he is always the first to answer my questions and often attempts to answer them before I have even finished asking them.  He starts guessing and shouting out possible answers as I am finishing.  I personally find it very distracting, but more importantly it doesn't give the others a chance to respond and I am finding now that many students have simply given up on trying to beat him to the answer.  
I am beginning to address the issue by reminding him before I pose the question that I would like him to give others a chance to answer. 
In hindsight I should have realized this issue in its infancy and addressed it then, but we seem to be making progress nonetheless.
 Now I'm interested to hear other classroom management issues and how they have been dealt with.
Clarke.

No comments:

Post a Comment